There’s something a little depressing and a little frustrating in to of the items I see listed under Qualifications for many technical writing jobs. I’m sure you know them:
- Ability to work simultaneously on different documentation modules and products in a fast paced development environment with minimum supervision
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment with strong emphasis on consistency, usability, and quality
Sometimes they are combined:
- Able to work in a very fast paced environment and handle multiple projects at the same time.
The first one says, “We won’t protect you from competing priorities” or, in short, “Your manager won’t manage.”
The ability to manage all projects on all products in a fast-paced environment and produce high-quality, accurate, consistent, and readable documentation is often combined with an experience level of no more than five years. In other words, the employer is not about to pay for a senior writer. So the second one says,”We expect the impossible.” It’s a basic rule of project management: You can have it Good. You can have it Fast. You can have it Cheap. Pick Two.
Experience aside, if you are flipping from product to product, it’s difficult to get a coherent body of knowledge in your head assembled and then re-packaged. This multiplies the chance of a mistake: of missing something, of inconsistency, of applying a detail from one product to a description of another product. You need a manager who will deflect or delay some work requests.
The STC Toronto job bank is back, with two new jobs. The international organization checks our member logins: when it rolled out a new website recently, our logins failed. We couldn’t approve new jobs and members couldn’t see the jobs. Visit the STC Toronto job bank. Employers can post jobs for free and STC Toronto members can see permanent and contract job opportunites.
Bombardier Aerospace is looking for a bilingual Technical Publications Supervisor at St. Laurent, Quebec, to document C-class aircraft. The candidate must be bilingual in French and English and be knowledgeable about aerospace technology.
Bombardier Aerospace build and support aircraft such as regional airliners, business jets, and amphibious aircraft. Their somewhat repetitious job description is below.
Reporting to the Manager, CSeries Commercial Aircraft Technical Publications, the Supervisor manages and recruits a team of technical publications specialists to define processes and produce technical documentation. The Supervisor will also establish and maintain the coordination of deliverables from Suppliers and Service Providers.
- Manage the definition and production of the data for the related publications;
- Perform all administration tasks related to employees: recruiting, management and communication;
- Responsible to represent Technical Publications in all phases of the Engineering product development activities;
- Produce program and Technical Publications deliverables as per departmental schedule.
- Responsible to ensure that the documentation meets the business unit objectives and for the continuous improvement of the associated processes and tools based on customer comments and needs.
The candidate will:
- Define standards and requirements for creation, and for distribution of the documentation in an electronic format as per S1000D and or ATA 2300 specification;
- Develop the program procedures documentation for the production of the documentation;
- Do research and establish contact with the airline industry in order to benchmark the publications requirements for the program;
- Represent Technical Publications within the Integrated Product Development Team during the program development phase activities;
- Participate in the development and update of the detailed planning for the publications preparation;
- Manage the preparation of the Technical Publications training documentation related to its publications;
- Organize training related to its publications to Suppliers and Services provider;
- Coordinate the definition of the publications book plan with internal and external suppliers;
- Identify, evaluate and define the action plans and schedules to minimize risks to completion of the publications according to the program requirements.
- Work closely with Human Resources to perform recruiting as per department hiring plan.
- Continuously monitor and address employee Personal Development Plan (PDP) requirements to meet the future needs of the organization.
- Perform and monitor Performance Management Process (PMP) with all direct employees.
The ideal candidate meets these requirements:
- Has college or university diploma in aerospace or equivalent
- Has minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience in Technical Publications
- Has good background in supervising experienced employees
- Is an effective leader who has the ability to:
- develop a strong team,
- develop and implement new process and tools,
- lead process improvement initiatives,
- deliver results,
- is highly organized
- able to handle multiple priorities.
- Has excellent communication skills, both written and spoken, in English and French.
- Is computer literate
- Knows multiple publishing software
- Has a strong interest in information technologies.
- A leader and team player
- Strong communication (oral and written) skills
- Entrepreneurship skills
- Able to delegate to and coach direct employees
- Customer-focused while keeping Bombardier’s interest in mind as well
- Organized, able to manage time and prioritize tasks effectively while working toward aggressive deadlines
- Can work independently with little supervision and make sound decisions
- Available for occasional travel
- Has a good understanding of airline operations & maintenance
Technical & Professional Expertise:
- Detailed understanding of Technical Publications processes and technologies
- Excellent understanding of the ATA 100 and ATA 2200 standards
- Basic understanding of ATA 2300 and S1000D specifications
- Good knowledge of SGML and XML authoring languages
- Strong understanding of the Bombardier Engineering System and Design procedures;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Projects…)
- Proficient with Lotus Notes
- Proficient with SAP
- Proficient with Documentum
- Proficient with eRoom
- Previous experience in product development is an important asset;
- Knowledge and experience in any Bombardier Customer Services and Support area is an asset.
If you are interested, please visit the careers section at Bombardier and apply online for position MON00632.
Bombardier Aerospace is looking for a bilingual Technical Publications Supervisor at Dorval, Quebec, to oversee about fifteen technical communicators writing about Global Series aircraft. The candidate must be bilingual in French and English and be knowledgeable about aerospace technology.
Bombardier Aerospace build and support aircraft such as regional airliners, business jets, and amphibious aircraft.
Reporting to the Manager, Technical Publications, you will supervise a dedicated team of approximately fifteen technical writers, technical illustrators, publishers and program planners in order to produce up-to-date aircraft maintenance and flight manuals for the Global Series aircraft. Additionally, you will be responsible to oversee and manage the productivity and quality of work of your outsourcing partner in India and several program partners working on-line around the world.
You will be responsible for the following activities: program management and resource performance of your team, program governance for the Global series aircraft technical publication effort, and all production activities related to the production and maintenance of your Global series aircraft flight and maintenance data to a “world class” quality level.
The ideal candidate meets these requirements:
- College diploma in aerospace or equivalent (Equivalent to a diploma or equivalent to aerospace?)
- Good computer skills
- Have experience in reading engineering documentation, modification summaries, and specifications
- Familiar with aircraft production methods
- Familiar with customer after-sales services
- Work well under pressure
- Meet tight deadlines
- Be able to multi-task
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- At ease at giving presentations in French and English
- Proven leadership skills
- Project management experience
- Can travel occasionally
If you are interested in this position, please visit the careers section at Bombardier and apply online for the position AER10945.
Nortak Software Limited, with offices in Ottawa and Toronto, is looking for a bilingual technical writer with a security clearance to write about IT topics. It’s in the NCR, which must be National Capital Region and not National Cash Register, so that’s Ottawa.
- Must be fluent in English writing and reading.
- Experience working with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, Acrobat, and Visio.
- Experience in interviewing technical/business staff.
- Valid Reliability Status (RS) security clearance.
- Must demonstrate experience in editing and revising French and English documents including Websites.
- Must demonstrate experience working with a technical team, i.e.: System Analysts, Developers, technical specialists, IT Service Management specialists.
- Must demonstrate experience working with business requirements and technical specification documents.
- Must demonstrate experience as a Technical Writer.
The agency TeamRecruiter is looking for a technical writer for a contract in Mississauga. The job requires experience in complying with ITIL or ISO documentation standards.